Hurricane Preparedness: Resources for Health Care Facilities
It is important to prepare a health care facility located near the coast in the event of a hurricane, but all facilities need to develop some type of plan in the event of extended power outage, disruption in service or an increase in the number of residents. Developing a plan will help you to maintain key services during a disaster for your patients or residents. The resources provided below are links to state, federal and other resources that can assist in emergency planning for health care facilities.
The SC DHEC Health Licensing Preparedness Resources webpage contains many valuable documents and links to assist in planning for a licensed health care facility. There are several documents to help you assess the risks your facility may face to include a list of facilities that are at risk for hurricanes, in an evacuation zone, and other resources. An emergency plan development guide and template (pdf) for extended care facilities has been made available that contains a sample plan and checklist. An evacuation plan component checklist required for licensure, as well as criteria for evacuation decision-making in nursing homes is also provided.
Several Federal resources have been made available and are available via the following links:
- Administration on Aging: Resources for the Aging Services Network and Other Professionals
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Health Care Provider Guidance
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Disasters & Emergencies: Information on Aspects of Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
- Florida Health Care Association: Emergency Preparedness Online Resources
- Disaster Preparedness Guide for Assisted Living Facilities (pdf)
- National Findings of the 2007 Nursing Home Hurricane Summit (pdf)
- The Nursing Home Incident Command System
- Annals of Long Term Care: Disaster Preparedness for Long-Term Care Facilities
- Premier: Emergency Preparedness for Healthcare Facilities
- California Association of Health Facilities: Evacuation Planning Resources & Positive Practices
- California Hospital Association: Hospital Evacuation
For additional information, contact: (803) 898-3708