The demolition of a private residence containing four or fewer units (i.e., single family home, duplex) is exempt
unless the following conditions apply:
- The demolition is part of a larger commercial or public project, such as, but not limited to, highway
construction; development of a shopping mall, industrial facility, other private development; or urban renewal,
- The demolition involves multiple private residences within a compact area ("city block") under the ownership
and/or control of a single owner and/or operator. Examples would be a municipality clearing a block of houses
for urban renewal purposes or SCDOT clearing a row of houses for a highway-right-of-way project.
- The residence is part of an installation such as a military facility, university campus, etc.
- The residence is being burned for fire training.
- The residence has been used in the past for non-residential purposes.