Skip to content

On Sunday the 25th at 6pm EST, we’re performing scheduled maintenance. We anticipate this planned outage will take between 2 and 4 hours.
DHEC has a new number for appointments at local health departments.
Please call 1-855-4-SCDHEC (1-855-472-3432).

UST Transfer of Ownership

New Owners

EFFECTIVE MAY 26, 2017: Within 30 days of acquisition, any person who assumes ownership of a regulated UST system must submit a notice of the ownership change to the Department in accordance with R. 61-92, 280.22(b).

**If you are only leasing the tanks and do not actually own them, please see the Leasee section below. **

  • Fill out a Transfer of Ownership form. This form must include the previous owner’s signature as well as a notary signature. Send to the Division immediately. The tank owner or operator’s name must match the name that will be used to provide financial responsibility.
  • Provide a Bill of Sale, Deed, Title to Real Estate or a legal document  to prove ownership of the USTs.
  • Visit the Financial Responsibility (FR) page to familiarize yourself with the requirements. Once the transfer documents are received, you will receive a letter requesting that you provide an acceptable FR mechanism within 30 days.
  • Any past due fees must be paid in order to receive a registration certificate.,Fuel deliveries cannot be received without a valid certificate.
  • Every facility must have at least one individual trained as a Class A/B operator. Once the transfer documents are received, you will receive a letter requesting that you provide proof of a trained A/B operator within 30 days.
  • If you still have contact with the previous owner, obtain any available compliance records (monthly monitoring records, previous testing records, current registration certificate, etc…).
  • If you do not have any previous monitoring/testing records, perform tightness testing on the tanks, lines, and leak detectors (if present). Then begin monthly monitoring of tanks and lines using a valid release detection method. (See Guidance Documents for more information on release detection.)
  • If the system is protected by a cathodic protection system,  the system is required  to be tested every three years. Obtain a copy the two most recent testes and keep on file to show to the inspector at the inspection. You can find a list of testing vendors here.

Potential Buyer

**If you are only leasing the tanks and do not actually own them, please see the Leasee section below. **

  • If the tank system is out of use, contact the Division to make sure that the tanks will be allowed to be placed back into service.
  • Contact the Division to determine if there are any past due tank fees that are owed on the facility. They will become your responsibility once you purchase the facility.
  • Take a Transfer of Ownership (pdf) form with you to the closing so that you may obtain the previous owner’s signature on the form.
  • Request that all previous tank records be provided to you at the time of closing. These should include all monthly monitoring records, previous testing records, previous repair records, and the current registration certificate.


  • Tank owner transfers only occur when the tanks themselves have actually been sold. If you purchased the business but are only leasing the tanks, DO NOT fill out a Transfer of Ownership form.
  • Mail and other forms of communication from the Division will be sent to the tank owner.
  • If you would like to notify us that you are now the leasee of the tanks, fax or email us your contact information.

Banks (Foreclosure/Lender Liability):

  • Forward foreclosure documents or send in a Transfer of Ownership form. The tanks will be under Lender Liability of the bank
  • If the tanks are to be operated:
  • If tanks are not being operated


  • If you need information about a current UST property, you may request a letter of concern. Please allow at least 3 business days for the request.
  • If you have a client that found a UST on their property:
    • Determine if a tank is already registered with our Division, by using the UST Registry.
    • If the tank is not registered, determine if the tank is a home heating oil tank.
    • If the tank is not registered and should be, please fill out a UST No Longer in Operation form (pdf). Please be aware that back fees may be owed on the tank(s).
    • Refer to Potential Buyer section to obtain further information prior to the sell.