Skip to content

DHEC has a new number for appointments at local health departments.
Please call 1-855-4-SCDHEC (1-855-472-3432).

Overview: Surface Water Withdrawal Permitting, Registration and Use

Act 247 of 2010 substantially amended Section 49-4-10 et seq. of the 1976 S.C. Code of Laws, renaming these sections as the South Carolina Surface Water Withdrawal, Permitting, Use and Reporting Act. Title 49, Chapter 4 of the SC Code of Laws can be found at

Beginning January 1, 2011, anyone withdrawing more that 3 million gallons or more in any 1 month from surface waters of South Carolina must obtain a surface water withdrawal permit or, for agricultural withdrawals, register their withdrawal with the Department unless exempt under the Act. Regulation R.61-119, Surface Water Withdrawal, Permitting and Reporting, which can be found below, outlines the process for obtaining a permit or for registering an agricultural use.


Each permit or permit application or registration or registration application, must comply with regulation as set forth in R.61-119, South Carolina Surface Water Withdrawal, Permitting, Use and Reporting.


Information regarding groundwater use and reporting can be found here: Groundwater Capacity Use Program

Additional Information

Existing Users Forum Presentation


Michael Bishop, Hydrogeologist, (803) 898-3553

Harriet H. Gilkerson, Manager, (803) 898-4318