Asphalt plants may be eligible for coverage under the general synthetic minor and the general conditional major permits if the facility produces asphalt only and is only comprised of the following:
- Systems for receiving, crushing, screening, handling, storing, weighing, drying, and transferring aggregate (both virgin and non-virgin);
- Systems for receiving, storing, and transferring asphalt cement;
- Systems for mixing aggregate with asphalt cement;
- Systems for the storing and dispensing of asphalt;
- Asphalt cement and fuel storage tanks;
- Auxiliary heaters (including hot oil heaters);
- Associated emission control systems; and
- Sources exempt under S.C. Regulation 61-62.1, Section II(B).
General Synthetic Minor Construction Permit and General Conditional Major Operating Permit
- Limited to hot mix asphaltic concrete production or other South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) approved methods;
- The maximum size for a single auxiliary heater (including hot oil heaters) is limited to less than 10 million BTU/hr rated input capacity;
- Fuel fired sources at the facility are limited to using natural gas, propane, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil and/or recycled oil (with written approval from the Department) as fuel;
- The emissions from all batch mix plants (pug mills) must be ducted to the dust control system and baghouse;
- Each criteria pollutant is limited to less than 100.0 tons per year (TPY);
- Single hazardous air pollutant (HAP) is limited to less than 10.0 TPY; and
- Combined HAPs are limited to less than 25.0 TPY.
Copy of the Permits
Copies are provided for use by facilities that have already been granted coverage by the Bureau. Download and use of these permits does not constitute coverage.
- General Synthetic Minor Construction Permit for Asphalt Plants
- General Conditional Major Operating Permit for Asphalt Plants
How Do I Apply for the General or Registration Permit?
To request coverage under the General Synthetic Minor Construction Permit download, complete, and submit the Construction Permit Forms listed below.
Once the Asphalt Plant has been constructed/modified per an issued construction permit, download, complete, and submit D-2974 below to request an operating permit.
For new construction* or non-exempt modifications applicable under this general permit, complete and submit a hard copy of the following forms:
- D-2566: Facility Information
- D-2567: Equipment/Processes
- D-2569: Emissions
- D-2570: Regulatory Review
- D-2573: Emission Point Information Form
- D-2212: Expedited Review Request Form (only for expedited projects)
*If operations, normally covered by construction permits, are located in one of the eight coastal counties of the Coastal Zone under DHEC-OCRM's jurisdiction (Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry, and Jasper), then a coastal zone consistency certification may be required.
- Asphalt Calculator (xls): This spreadsheet helps calculate a facility's potential to emit for asphalt plants.
- Asphalt 12 Month Rolling Sum and Deviation Reporting Tool (pdf): This reporting tool assist asphalt companies in calculating 12 month rolling sums and logging /reporting deviations.
- Memo to Asphalt/Concrete Owners regarding Temporary Crushing and Screening Operations
- Asphalt Production, Source Testing Guidance
- Tear-Off Asphalt Roofing Shingle Usage, Permitting/Asbestos Testing Protocol
- Relocation of Asphalt Plants