Asphalt plants may be eligible for a general permit if they only perform asphalt production and the only sources of emissions, besides exempt equipment , are:
- systems for receiving, crushing, screening, handling, storing, weighing, drying, and transferring aggregate (virgin and non-virgin);
- systems for receiving, storing, and transferring asphalt cement;
- systems for mixing aggregate with asphalt cement;
- systems for the storing and dispensing of asphalt;
- asphalt cement and fuel storage tanks;
- auxiliary heaters (including hot oil heaters); and
- associated emission control systems.
- The facility is limited to hot mix asphaltic concrete production or other DOT approved methods as allowed in the permit
- The maximum size for a single auxiliary heater (including hot oil heaters) is limited to less than 10 million BTU/hr rated input capacity.
- All fuel fired sources at the facility are limited to using natural gas, propane, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil and/or recycled oil (with written approval from the Department) as fuel.
- The emissions from all batch mix plants (pug mills) must be ducted to the dust control system and baghouse
Emissions/ Reporting Tools:
- Memo to Asphalt/Concrete Owners regarding Temporary Crushing and Screening Operations
- Asphalt Production, Source Testing Guidance (03/15/2001)
- Tear-Off Asphalt Roofing Shingle Usage, Permitting/Asbestos Testing Protocol (08/11/2011)
- Relocation of Asphalt Plants (02/26/2016)
Copy of the Permits:
- General Conditional Major Operating Permit for Asphalt Plants
- General Synthetic Minor Construction Permit for Asphalt Plants
**Note that these copies are provided for use by facilities that have already been granted coverage by the Bureau. Download and use of these permits does not constitute coverage.**
For more information please contact your permit writer or Air's Permitting Division