Autobody refinishing shops may be eligible for coverage under the registration permit if the facility performs the spray application of coatings to automobiles.
- Sprays coatings containing compounds of chromium (Cr), lead (Pb), manganese (Mn), nickel (Ni), or cadmium (Cd);
- Spray applies coating to more than two (2) vehicles or parts of vehicles per year, without consideration of compensation;
- May use Methylene Chloride (MeCl) for the stripping of dried paint, enamel, varnish, shellac, lacquer, and other applications from wood, metal, plastic, and other substrates;
- Must emit less than 10.0 tons/yr of a single Hazardous Air Pollutant (HAP) and less than 25.0 tons/yr of total combined HAPs;
- No other processes at the site that may require additional construction and operating permit requirements.
How Do I Apply for the Registration Permit?
In order to request coverage under the Registration Permit download, complete, and submit the Registration Permit Request for Autobody Refinishing Shops.
*If operations, normally covered by construction permits, are located in one of the eight coastal counties of the Coastal Zone under DHEC-OCRM's jurisdiction (Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry, and Jasper), then a coastal zone consistency certification may be required.