Skip to content
Air Quality

Concrete Plants

The Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) develops and issues general permits for similar sources.

Advantages to General Permits

  • A standardized permit providing consistency
  • Simplified application and permit issuance
  • General permits are issued without an additional individual public notice and comment period
  • Pre-determined equipment and emission limit for specific Permit categories

Existing permitted sources may request coverage under a general permit if the permit criteria are met. BAQ grants the general permit to facilities certifying qualification for and agreeing to the conditions and terms of the general permit.

Below is a description of each of the general permits, a link to the list of the current facilities that have been granted coverage of each general permit, a copy of each general permit, and the associated criteria, forms, and other information for each general permit.

Guide to General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants

This guide provides a summary of the eligibility criteria and recordkeeping requirements for plants that qualify for coverage under the General State Operating Permit (GSOP) for Concrete Plants.

Does my Plant Qualify for the General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants?

To qualify for coverage under the GSOP, potential uncontrolled emissions must be below major source thresholds. In general, plants rated less than the following capacities (using the manufacturer's maximum rated plant capacity) qualify for coverage under the GSOP:

  • Truck Mix = 164 yd3/hr
  • Central Mix = 294 yd3/hr
  • Pugmill = 308 yd3/hr

If your plant exceeds these thresholds, please contact the BAQ for assistance in determining your permitting status.

What Are My Recordkeeping Requirements?

The plant is required to maintain the following records on site in written or electronic logs on site for at least five (5) years. These records shall be made available to a Department representative upon request.

What must I record? * How often should I record?
Concrete Production in cubic yards Daily
Truck and/or mixer load-out inspections Weekly
Bag/cartridge filter maintenance As bags/cartridges are replaced
System pressure drop measurements Daily
Visual inspection of silo control devices Daily facility inspection or when the silo is loaded, whichever is lesser

* Please refer to the permit for detailed recordkeeping requirements. Plants with fuel burning sources may be subject to additional recordkeeping requirements.

What Must I Do if I Want to Relocate My Plant?

  • Notify the Department within 30 days of relocation,
    • if relocating the plant to another site in South Carolina that is not co-located with another facility; or
    • if relocating the plant to a storage site; or
    • if moving your plant out of state (Department approval must be gained prior to bringing the plant back into South Carolina)
  • Request Department approval prior to moving your plant to another site in SC that is co-located with another facility.

How Do I Apply for this General Permit?

In order to request coverage under the General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants:

Concrete batch plants, concrete block production facilities, and pug mills may be eligible for this general permit if the facility is comprised of one or any combination of the following:

  • sand and aggregate storage;
  • sand and aggregate transfer to elevated bin;
  • cement and/or cement supplement unloading to elevated storage silo;
  • weigh hopper loading,
  • truck loading, central mixer loading, and/or pug mixer loading;
  • loading, transfer or storage associated with emission control systems; and
  • boilers or other fuel combustion devices less than 30 x 106 BTU per hour;
General Construction:
General State OP:
General Conditional Major:
General Conditional Major Operating Permit for Concrete Plants

List of plants currently covered by a General Conditional Major

**Note that these copies are provided for use by facilities that have already been granted coverage by the Bureau. Download and use of these permits does not constitute coverage.**

General Permitting for Concrete Plants Application (Instructions)

Facility Relocation Application Form (Instructions)

Note that air dispersion modeling may be required depending on the location of the plant. This is determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the size of the plant and the proximity and density of residences and other population centers. Contact BAQ if you would like a preliminary decision for a specific location.

Reporting/Emission Tools:
For more information please contact:
Jerisha Dukes (803) 898-4292

If the operations covered by construction permits are located in one of the eight coastal counties of the Coastal Zone under DHEC-OCRM's jurisdiction (Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry and Jasper), then a coastal zone consistency certification may be required.

For more information please contact the Bureau of Air Quality at (803) 898-4123 or by email.