Shoreline Change Initiative
In 2007, DHEC-OCRM initiated a Shoreline Change Initiative to organize existing data collection and research efforts, identify additional research needs, and formulate policy options to guide the management of South Carolina’s estuarine and beachfront shorelines. DHEC established an external advisory panel made up of 23 scientists, agency researchers, municipal officials, and various stakeholders to discuss the past two decades of experiences under the SC Beachfront Management Act and to identify potential research and policy needs related to beachfront and estuarine shoreline management for the coming decades. The Shoreline Change Advisory Committee (SCAC) released a draft report in November 2009 and a subsequent final report in April 2010. The report contains 13 general recommendations, and numerous sub-recommendations for consideration by public officials and decision-makers.
On October 14, 2010, the DHEC Board selected the membership of the Blue Ribbon Committee on Shoreline Management. Representing a broad range of stakeholder interests, this Committee will develop specific regulatory recommendations to enhance the management of fragile coastal resources and habitats, improve coastal planning, and prepare South Carolina for emerging challenges and opportunities for our beaches and estuarine shorelines.
Shoreline Change Advisory Committee Final Report Documents
- Adapting to Shoreline Change: A Foundation for Improved Management and Planning in South Carolina - Final Report of the Shoreline Change Advisory Committee
- Final Report Supplement: Full Record of Public Comments on the Draft Report
Twenty years ago, a "blue ribbon panel" was convened by the former South Carolina Coastal Council (now SCDHEC-OCRM) to address what was considered a "crisis" situation involving our beaches. Recognizing the threats of chronic erosion, gradual sea level rise, increased shoreline development, and a lack of comprehensive beachfront planning and management, the panel developed recommendations that provided guidance to state regulators and legislators in developing state beach management policies. Most of their recommendations were adopted into law through the Beachfront Management Act of 1988. Over the past two decades, the Beachfront Management Act and associated regulations have significantly limited development and hard stabilization of the beachfront in many areas. However, the issues addressed by the 1987 panel remain critical. We face a growing challenge in balancing the protection of economic and environmental resources along our shorelines.
- Shoreline Change Advisory Committee Membership List
- Charge to Committee Members
- Committee Workplan (Updated 05/09)
Materials associated with meetings, including presentations, minutes and supporting documents, will be added as they become available.
- September 14, 2007: Orientation (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- November 30, 2007: Public Comments and Outside Perspectives (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- January 25, 2008: Research and Information Priorities (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- February 21, 2008: Beachfront Retreat Policy (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- March 31, 2008: Beach Renourishment (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- May 08, 2008: Beachfront Erosion Control (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- June 20, 2008: Policy Option Templates (Agenda / Approved Minutes)
- August 20, 2008: Shoreline Planning (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- October 17, 2008: Estuarine Shorelines, Part 1 (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- November 24, 2008: Estuarine Shorelines, Part 2 (Agenda / Approved Minutes / Information)
- January 20, 2009: Public Meeting (Approved Minutes / Audio)
- June 03, 2009: Grand Strand Community Leaders' Forum (Notes / Information)
- June 22, 2009: Beaufort Community Leaders' Forum (Agenda / Notes / Information)
- July 13, 2009: Charleston Community Leaders' Forum (Agenda / Notes / Information)
- Beachfront Management Act from the S.C. Code of Laws (pdf)
- Critical Area Permitting Regulations
- Report of the 1987 S.C. Blue Ribbon Committee on Beachfront Management (pdf)
- SCDHEC-OCRM NOAA Section 309 Strategy and Assessment (pdf)
- South Carolina's Beachfront Management Plan (pdf)
- "South Carolina's Changing Shoreline: Implications for the Future" Workshop Series Report (pdf)
- Links to online information regarding regulations and policies in other U.S. coastal states