The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) has developed this website to inform citizens of issues related to Seaco and its associated properties. This website will:
- Provide quick access to information about the site and associated properties;
- Provide a way for citizens to receive updates and sign-up to be on our mailing list ; and
- Continue to grow as more information is added.
For information on the lead and arsenic contamination found near the Seaco site, please visit our webpage on the former Royster fertilizer plant.
The Seaco, Inc. property includes approximately 3 acres and is located at Commerce Drive and William H. Tuller Drive (also known as Industrial Drive) in Columbia. The property was used by a fertilizer manufacturer prior to being bought by Seaco, Inc. in 1949 for an asphalt emulsion plant. Numerous above ground storage tanks are located on the property. The property is in an industrial and residential land use area. Vacant land and a trailer storage area are located to the north; vacant buildings and residential property are to the east; a CSX rail yard is to the south; and businesses, vacant buildings and residential property are to the west.
The Bagnal Builders property includes approximately 8.6 acres and is located at South Edisto Avenue in Columbia. The property may have been used for fertilizer or phosphate-related operations. In the mid-1950s, Bagnal Builders supplied building materials (lumber and sheet rock) and used the property for warehouse storage, office space, appliance repair, and cabinet-making. Above ground and underground storage tanks have been located on the property. Most recently, the property has been used for warehouse storage. The property is located in an industrial and residential land use area. Churches and commercial facilities are located to the north; residential property is near the northeast and northwest property boundary; trucking and commercial businesses are to the east; a CSX rail spur and yard is to the south; and an undeveloped property is to the west.