DHEC's preferred cleanup remedy (Combined Alternative 3 which is summarized below) is a combination of alternatives considered. DHEC's preferred remedy and other cleanup alternatives are discussed more fully in the Proposed Plan.
Combined Alternative 3
Hydraulic Containment, Soil Vapor Extraction (SVE), Thermal-Enhanced Multi-Phase Extraction (MPE), and In Situ Thermal Treatment
This cleanup alternative includes:
- Excavation and offsite disposal of metals-contaminated soil exceeding Remedial Goals (RGs) outside of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)/Thermal Treatment Areas;
- Hydraulic containment with onsite physical/chemical treatment for the regolith and bedrock hydraulic zones;
- SVE in the Burn Pit Area (if necessary);
- Thermal-enhanced MPE for the Fuel Oil Area;
- In-situ thermal treatment for select areas to treat VOCs in soil and regolith groundwater;
- Groundwater and surface water monitoring; and
- Institutional controls on future use of facility property.
On August 26, 2014, DHEC held a public meeting to discuss the Proposed Plan for this Site. Click here for the Proposed Plan Public Meeting Powerpoint Presentation and here for the Meeting Transcript.
Want to Submit a Comment?
DHEC will accept public comments on the preferred cleanup alternative and the other cleanup options for the Site. The comment period has been extended to November 26, 2014.
Submit your comments to Lucas Berresford, Project Manager, DHEC--Bureau of Land & Waste Management, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
All comments will be considered before a final cleanup remedy is selected.