Land Application Permit Program Exemptions

(Section 505.3 of SC Regulation 61-9)

505.3  Exclusions.  The following discharges do not require Land Application permits or State permits:
  1. The introduction of sewage, industrial wastes or other pollutants into publicly owned treatment works by indirect dischargers.  Plans or agreements to switch to this method of disposal in the future do not relieve dischargers of the obligation to have and comply with permits until all discharges of pollutants directly or indirectly to groundwaters of the State and any land surface of the State are eliminated. (See also R.61-9.122.47(b)).  This exclusion does not apply to the introduction of pollutants to privately owned treatment works or to other discharges through pipes, sewers, or other conveyances (owned by a State, municipality, or other party) not leading to treatment works.
  2. Any introduction of pollutants from non-point source agricultural and silvicultural activities, including storm water runoff from orchards, cultivated crops, pastures, range lands, and forest lands, but not discharges directly or indirectly to groundwaters of the State and any land surface of the State from both concentrated animal feeding operations as defined in R.61-9.122.23, and from silvicultural point sources as defined in R.61-9.122.27.
  3. Return flows from irrigated agriculture.
  4. Discharges permitted under Underground Injection Control (61-87), a South Carolina County Health Department or other Department program area.
  5. Individual Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems serving one piece of deeded property that are permitted under Regulation 61-56. This includes but is not limited to any individual residence or single piece of deeded property using a septic tank system if a permit for the discharge is obtained under the provisions of R.61-56.
  6. Provided the requirements in section 505.8 are met and a permit is issued to Construct an Individual Sewage Treatment and Disposal System under R.61-56, serving more than one piece of deeded property, a Land Application or State Permit will not be required. This exclusion may not apply if industrial wastes or other pollutants are discharged.


Environment General Public