Groundwater - Water Use and Reporting Program (Capacity Use)
The Groundwater Use and Reporting Program issues Groundwater Use Withdrawal Permits to all groundwater systems located in a designated Capacity Use Area (Map of Capacity Use Areas). Current Capacity Use Areas are; Low Country (Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, Jasper counties), Pee Dee (Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Marion, Marboro, Williamsburg counties), Trident (Berkeley,Charleston, and Dorchester) and Waccamaw (Georgetown, Horry counties). Groundwater Withdrawal permits are required to withdraw and use groundwater equal to or greater than three million gallons in any month in the counties in these areas.
Beginning January 1, 2001, the intention to install any well that will withdraw 3 million gallons or more of groundwater in any month or increase the rated capacity of an existing well in the Coastal Plain, but outside of a Capacity Use Area, must have a Notice of Intent provided to the Department at least 30 days prior to drilling or initiating the action. Coastal Plain counties currently outside of a Capacity Use Area (Map of NOI counties) include all of Aiken, Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Calhoun, Clarendon, Lee, Orangeburg, Sumter and those portions of Chesterfield, Edgefield, Kershaw, Lexington, Richland, and Saluda counties located in the Coastal Plain east or southeast of the fall line (as identified on best available geologic maps or contact the Department at the phone numbers below).
Groundwater withdrawers who withdraw and use groundwater equal to or greater than three million gallons in any month in the remaining counties of the State shall register their groundwater withdrawal and subsequent use with the Department (Map of Registration counties).
Each permit or permit application must comply with the construction, operation, and special conditions as set forth in R.61-113, Groundwater Use and Reporting Regulations.
Guidance Document and Reports
- Capacity Use Program Permitting (PDF - 230 KB)A guide for permitting groundwater withdrawal in designated Capacity Use Areas.
- The Groundwater Use And Reporting Act (Chapter 5 of Title 49, Section 49-5-10 et. seq.of the 1976 Code as amended)
- Surface Water Permitting
- South Carolina Surface Water Withdrawal and Reporting Act (Chapter 4 of Title 49, Section 49-4-10 et. seq.of the 1976 Code as amended)
- Groundwater Withdrawal Permit Application and Directions (PDF-191 KB)
- Groundwater Withdrawal Renewal Permit Application and Directions (PDF-193 KB)
- Notice Of Intent (NOI) and Directions (PDF-125 KB)
- Water Use Registration (PDF-86 KB)
Bureau of Water . Phone: (803) 898-4300 . Fax: (803) 898-3795 . Contact Us