South Carolina’s Wastewater Construction Permit Program is a cornerstone of the water pollution control program of SC. It is one of the oldest environmental regulatory programs in SC. The first wastewater construction permit was issued in 1951 to United Piece Dye Works by DHEC’s predecessor agency - the SC State Board of Health. The history of this program is given on our wastewater construction Permit Program History webpage.
State law and regulation require submission of plans and specifications and a written permit before a wastewater system may be constructed or modified. Wastewater systems regulated by the Department include sewer lines, wastewater pretreatment facilities, wastewater treatment facilities, and sludge handling and treatment facilities. Approximately 1,000 permits are issued each year.
The Water Facilities Permitting Division of the Bureau of Water is responsible for administering the wastewater construction permit program. The Wastewater Construction Permit Program, the NPDES Permit Program, the Land Application System Permit Program, the Pretreatment Program, the Satellite Sewer System Program, and the Sludge Program are integrated into a comprehensive water pollution control program on transportation, treatment, and disposal or use of wastewater and sludge.
The EQC Regional Offices are responsible for the field work associated with the wastewater construction permit program. This includes construction inspections and final inspections to ensure all work is performed according to approved plans and specifications. Before wastewater facilities can be placed into operation, a written authorization to begin operations must be granted by the Regional Office. Enforcement actions are used by the Bureau when necessary to ensure proper construction permits are obtained and to ensure compliance with these permits.
Bureau and District staff are available to give talks and presentations on the different aspects of the Wastewater Construction Permit Program. Please send an E-mail to one of the contacts if you are interested in arranging a presentation for a group or class. Also, please visit our Environmental Education and Outreach WEB page.
- Summary of Regulations
- Regulation 61-67 - Standards for Wastewater Facility Permitting
- Regulation 61-30 - Environmental Protection Fees
- Regulation 61-82 - Proper Closeout of Wastewater Treatment Facilities
- Information on Expedited Review Program for Water Distribution Systems (lines, storage tanks, pump stations) and Wastewater Collection Systems (lines, pump stations)
- Application Fees
- Application for Permit to Construct (PDF-335KB)
- Application Submittal Package and Where to Apply
- Application Status for Submitted Projects
- Delegated Review Program
- Detailed Description of the Permitting Process for Sewer Lines
- Detailed Description of the Permitting Process for Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Flow Chart of Permit Process for New or Expanding Wastewater Treatment Facilities (PDF-9KB)
- Flow Chart of Permit Process for Sewer Lines (PDF-6KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guidance Documents
- Navigable Waters
- Pump & Haul
- Schematic Diagram of a Wastewater System - shows Regulations and Laws Applicable to the Different Aspects of Wastewater Facilities (collection systems, wastewater treatment systems, effluent disposal, and sludge)
- Service Connections
- Standard Specification Program
- Wastewater Treatment Facilities Permitting Capacity
- Moratoriums on Issuance of Wastewater Construction Permits
- Sewer Lines/Pump Stations
- Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Sludge/Septage Projects
- EQC Local Regional Offices
Bureau of Water
Bureau of Water . Phone: (803) 898-4300 . Fax: (803) 898-3795 . Contact Us