* Updated October 21, 2019
* Completed in 2019:
- Quarterly Oversight Sampling.
- In the first week of April, EPA/Atlanta performed an Oversight Sampling at business and residential locations.
- EPA/Atlanta conducted a follow-up Sanitary Survey with DHEC on April 2, 2019.
- In the first week of April, EPA/Atlanta conducted a Public Water System Supervision program review.
- In the last week of March, a System Optimization Study was performed. Read the Comprehensive Performance Evaluation results.
Ongoing in 2019:
- Work collaboratively with Clemson University Department of Pesticide Regulation (CU DPR) to ensure coordination of Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) requirements for public and private drinking water systems.
- In October 2019, DHEC formally adopted a Strategy for the Integration of FIFRA Compliance for Water Disinfectants into DHEC's Bureau of Water permitting programs. *
- In September 2019, DHEC received the results of EPA's Priority Review of DHEC's Public Water System Supervision Program. *
- In August 2019, DHEC received a letter from the City of Denmark providing updates in compliance with the Consent Order. *
- In August 2019, DHEC conducted Oversight Sampling on Denmark's Public Water System. * (Revised on 10/21/19 to correct an error)
- In July 2019, DHEC received EPA's results from the April 2019 Public Water System Supervision Oversight Inspection. *
- In July 2019, DHEC received a letter from the City of Denmark requesting a 60-day extension of the Consent Order. DHEC approved the request.*
- In July 2019, DHEC issued a Consent Order.
- In May 2019, an Enforcement Conference was held.
- In April 2019, DHEC performed a Follow-Up Sanitary Survey. The City received an overall rating of unsatisfactory due to operation & maintenance. This unsatisfactory rating is not related to water quality. These operating and maintenance issues are considered to be a significant deficiency, therefore DHEC is taking an enforcement action.
- In April 2019, EPA collected water samples at the same time and locations as DHEC. Read DHEC's Oversight Sampling results, the EPA's laboratory results summary and the EPA's full Drinking Water Sampling Report. A data comparison table of EPA & DHEC's results is also available.
- In April 2019, EPA/Atlanta conducted a Public Water System Supervision program review. (Results pending.)
- In March 2019, a System Optimization Study was performed. Get the Comprehensive Performance Evaluation results.
- In January 2019, DHEC representatives were invited to and attended a Denmark Cares meeting.
- In January 2019, DHEC performed the annual Sanitary Survey and conducted additional Oversight Sampling.
- As of December 2018, the City continues to be in compliance with EPA drinking water standards.
- In December 2018, DHEC representatives met with Denmark Cares.
- In December 2018, DHEC performed Oversight Sampling.
- In August 2018, DHEC received the Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) from the City for calendar year 2017, noting no violations of EPA drinking water standards.
- In August 2018, the City of Denmark notified DHEC that the Cox Mill Well had been taken offline while considering alternate treatments for iron-bacteria.
- In July 2018, DHEC was notified by the Clemson Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) that HaloSan had not been registered as required by FIFRA. HaloSan was approved for use as a disinfectant in drinking water by the National Sanitation Foundation. That approval as a drinking water additive is required by State Drinking Water Regulations. DHEC presented the City with two options: either find a replacement treatment chemical that was registered under FIFRA or remove the Cox Mill Well from service.
- During the April 2018 Partnership Special Study, a question was raised about the use of HaloSan in the Cox Mill Well to control iron bacteria.
- In April 2018, DHEC coordinated with partners from the University of South Carolina (USC) Arnold School of Public Health, USC Department of Chemistry and the Edisto Riverkeeper (with support of the SC Rural Water Association) to conduct a special study of the source water wells in the City. All results complied with EPA safe drinking water standards.
- In April 2018, DHEC coordinated with Bamberg District Two school district to conduct water sampling for lead at Denmark-Olar Elementary and Middle Schools. All results from both schools were less than the EPA’s Lead and Copper Rule action level of 0.015 milligrams per liter (mg/L). Denmark School Sampling Full Report and Data - April 2018
- In April 2018, DHEC hosted a community meeting on the City’s Public Water System.
- In March 2018, DHEC staff attended the Bamberg District Two school board meeting to discuss best practices to minimize potential lead exposure from drinking water and to provide an update on the Lead and Copper Rule.
- In February 2018, DHEC conducted a sanitary survey on the public water system serving the City. The City received an overall rating of "Needs Improvement" for operational procedures and storage tank maintenance.
- In January 2018, based on citizen concerns, DHEC conducted sampling at wells and points in the distribution system for iron, manganese, chlorine residual and bacteria. All sample results were within the recommended EPA limits. DHEC recommended flushing at or near one location due to low chlorine residual levels.
- In 2014-2017, annual monitoring and annual sanitary surveys were conducted.
- In 2013, a Consent Order Closure Letter was issued based on the satisfactory rating results in the 2013 Sanitary Survey.
- In 2012, deficiencies were noted in the sanitary survey. The City took appropriate actions to address those deficiencies.
- In 2011, two new wells, the Acacia Street well and the W. Voorhees well, were added to the system as replacement wells.
- In 2011, the Consent Order was amended based on the results of the 2011 Sanitary Survey.
- In 2010, DHEC issued a Consent Order to the City based on the 2010 Sanitary Survey results and numerous customer complaints regarding discoloration.
- 2007-2010, annual monitoring and sanitary surveys (annual inspections) were conducted.
Join DHEC's Denmark Water contact list to stay informed.
Any citizen who would like to share concerns about water quality and/or request sampling in his/her home is asked to contact our DHEC Regional Office in Orangeburg.
DHEC Orangeburg Regional Office
1550 Carolina Ave.
Orangeburg, SC 29116
This webpage will continue to be updated with new information as it becomes available.