Guidance documents are published to further clarify regulations and to assist in implementation of environmental regulations, and to encourage compliance with environmental requirements.
- Air Quality (Asbestos, Compliance, Emissions Inventory, Modeling, Permitting, Source Evaluation)
- Environmental Laboratories
- Land and Waste Management (Emergency Response, Hazardous Waste Management, Mining, Radioactive Waste Management, Recycling, Solid Waste Management)
- Water (Drinking Water, Wastewater, Groundwater, Agricultural Facilities, Storm Water, Dams and Reservoirs Safety, Wetlands, Recreational Waters)
- Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
Bureau of Air Quality
All Guidance Documents for the Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) are in pdf format.
- 112(r) Guidance Documents, Chemical Accident Prevention Provisions
- EPA's Risk Management Program
- EPA's Emergency Management
- Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER) Homepage
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Homepage
- The SARA Title III Factsheet: The Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (September 2012)
- LEPC/SERC Guidances
- Chemical Safety Information, Site Security and Fuels Regulatory Relief Act
- EPA Fact Sheet: Chemical Safety Information, Site Security and Fuels Regulatory Relief Act
- Asbestos Regulatory Determinations
- Applicability of Federal and State Asbestos Regulations to Condominiums
- Asbestos Cementitious Floor Tiles
- Asbestos Containing Floor Mastic
- Memorandum for Composite Sampling and Analysis of Joint Compound/Wallboard
- Memorandum for Non-friable Organically Bound (NOB) materials
- O & M Transite Pipe Work
- Revised Regulation Q & A Memo
- Variances Related to Pr-Demolition Abatement and Critical Barriers
- Emissions Inventory
- AIRS Facility Subsystem Source Classification Codes and Emission Factor Listing for Criteria Air Pollutants, (EPA 450/4-90-003, March 1990)
Formerly the primary emission factor tool for emission estimation, but has been largely replaced by the FIRE system described below. It is still sometimes used to locate Source Classification Codes (SCC) for manufacturing processes more quickly.
- Emission Factors, AP-42, Volume 1, 5th Edition (U.S. EPA)
Serves as the standard reference manual describing air pollutant emission generating activities, estimations of emissions related to activity levels, control methods and efficiencies, and default values when actual data are not available. Copy available for review.
- Emission Inventory Section Procedure Manual (WORKING DRAFT)
Documents emission estimation methodologies, quality control/quality assurance and federal data reporting. Emission estimation methodologies are incorporated by reference from Emission Inventory Improvement Program (EIIP) Preferred Methods documents. These technical documents are available at http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/eiip/techreport/index.html
- Factor Information Retrieval System (FIRE)
A software package that contains the most recent emission factor information available from EPA.
- Fuel Oil (#4) Maximum % Sulfur Usage, Letter from EPA regarding (11/28/1995) (318KB)
Describes the percentage of sulfur to use when making potential emissions determinations for #4 oil, copy available for review.
- Other Guidance
- Biosolids Pat - This document lists the references that laboratories can use when analyzing biosolids sample for fecal coliform.
- Enterococci Guidance Document (08/05) - This document lists the requirements for enterococci certification in South Carolina.
- Enzyme Substrate Certification Requirements - This document addresses the certification requirements for the Total Coliform/E.coli Enzyme Substrate Test Procedures.
- Organic Analyses Guidance Document (2008) - This document addresses certification requirements for organic analyses (volatiles, semi-volatiles, pesticides, etc.
- Oxygenate Certification - This document is designed to assist laboratories seeking oxygenate certification.
- Trace Metals Guidance Document - This document addresses certification requirements for trace metals analyses.
Bureau of Land and Waste Management
- Quality Assurance Program Plan, DHEC, 2013
- SUPERB Account Allowable Costs , DHEC, May 2014 Document provides list of allowable costs from the State Underground Petroleum Response Bank Account for standardized scopes of work and allowable assessment costs per component as defined.
- Analytical Methodology for Groundwater and Soil Assessment , DHEC, July 2014 Document outlines the proper sampling and laboratory methods for environmental samples with emphasis on petroleum constituents.
- Underground Storage Tank Assessment Guidelines for Permanent Closure and Change-In-Service , DHEC, July 2014 Document outlines owner and operator responsibilities for meeting subpart G requirements of the SC UST Control regulations, "Out of Service UST Systems and Closure" and report format.
Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
- Guidance Document For Preparing Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs) For Environmental Monitoring Projects/Studies - Revision 1.1 September 2008
Bureau of Water
- A Guide to Permitting in Navigable Waters of South Carolina
- Antidegradation for Activities Contributing Nonpoint Source Pollution to Impaired Waters
- Capacity Use Program Permitting
- Delegated Construction Review Program (DRP)
- Options for Data Analysis of Whole Effluent Toxicity Testing Required by NPDES Permits
- Bottled Water - Web page for information regarding permitting of bottled water facilities.
- A publication to assist in determining whether a permit or approval is needed for a specific project, 2001.
- Regulatory Data and Quality Assurance Requirements
- Residential Well and Irrigation Well Permitting - Residential Well Program Webpage
- Sewer Permitting Program
- State Revolving Fund - SRF Webpage
- CWSRF PER Guidance Document
- DWSRF PER Guidance Document
- CW & DW SRF Permit Guidance
- Recycled Funds Permit Guidance
- Methods of Bidding
- Recycled Funds Bidding Guidance
- Construction Contracts Guidance Package
- Federal Requirement Guidance for Regular SRF-funded Projects
- Recycled Funds Federal Requirement Guidance
- Disbursement Package
- EPA Green Project Reserve Guidance
- Guide to Documenting Green Project Reserve Eligibility
- Underground Injection Control Permit Guidance Document
- Wellhead Protection Program: Technical Guidance Document for South Carolina May 1999 (PDF-500K)