Hospital Infection Control: HIDA Information For Hospitals
Hospital Infections Disclosure Act (HIDA)
In May 2006, the South Carolina General Assembly passed the Hospital Infections Disclosure Act. Hospitals must report Hospital Acquired Infections (HAIs) from selected procedures to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). The reporting requirements are being phased in.
Compliance with the HIDA Reporting Requirements is a condition of licensure for hospitals that perform the reportable procedures.
On this website you can find:
- Link to the Hospital Infections Disclosure Act (HIDA) law
- Current HIDA reporting requirements
- Archived HIDA reporting requirements from previous reporting periods.
- Information on Training and Resources
- Link to the HIDA Public Reporting Website
- Link to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Health Care Safety Network (NHSN) members' website
Future content will include an Infection Control Process Survey and information on the DHEC HIDA Hospital Validation Program.
- Update #10: January 1 2016: HIDA Reporting Requirement Update (pdf)
- HIDA Reporting Announcement: July 1, 2007: Deputy Commissioner's Letter to Hospitals (pdf) - mailed January 10, 2007.
- HIDA Reporting Requirements, and Training and Implementation Plan: July 1, 2007: HIDA Training and Implementation Plan (pdf) (Reporting Requirements effective July 1, 2007), mailed January 10, 2007
- Update # 1: January 1, 2008: HIDA Reporting Requirements- Update # 1 (pdf)- effective date January 1, 2008) mailed November 19, 2007
- Update # 2: February 12, 2008: HIDA Reporting Requirements HIDA Update # 2, effective date January 1, 2008 (pdf) (contains additional information to clarify reporting requirements in Update # 1 -mailed to hospitals on February 12, 2008). These requirements include the HIDA mandatory reporting by clinical laboratories of MRSA bloodstream infections.
- Update # 3: December 1, 2008: HIDA Reporting Requirements Update # 3 - beginning 12-01-2008 (pdf)
- Update # 4: July 1, 2009: HIDA Reporting Requirements -Update # 4 (pdf)
- Update # 5: January 1, 2011: HIDA Reporting Requirements - Update # 5 (pdf)
- Update # 6: July 18, 2011: HIDA Reporting Requirements - Update # 6 (pdf)
- Update # 7: January 1, 2012: HIDA Reporting Requirements - Update #7 (pdf)
- Update # 8: January 1st, 2013: HIDA Reporting Requirement Update (pdf)
- Update # 9: January 1, 2015: HIDA Reporting Requirements Update (pdf)
- Update #10: January 1, 2016: HIDA Reporting Requirement Update (pdf)
Hospital Training Materials & Announcements
- NHSN Online Training Modules:
NHSN Protocols and Definitions:
- CLABSI -Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infections (pdf)
- SSI - Surgical Site Infection (pdf)
- Multidrug-Resistant Organism & Clostridium difficile Infection (MDRO/CDI) (pdf)
- Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) (pdf)
- HIDA Health Care Associated Infections Public Reporting
- South Carolina Health Care Associated Infections Prevention Plan (pdf)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Health Care Safety Network (NHSN)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health Care Associated Infections (HAI)
DHEC Health Care Associated Infections (HAI) Section
2100 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
- Nijika Shrivastwa, Ph.D., HAI Coordinator/ Epidemiologist) (email@example.com)
- Colleen Roberts , MPH, Epidemiologist, CSTE Fellow (ROBERTCC@dhec.sc.gov)
- Stanley Ostrawski, RN, MS, MT (ASCP), Infection Preventionist (firstname.lastname@example.org)