DHEC licenses hearing aid specialists, defined as individuals who measure human hearing by an audiometer and by other established means solely for fitting, making selections, adaptations, or sale of hearing aids; this procedure includes the making of impressions for earmolds.
We may also issue a temporary permit to an individual who does not yet meet the experience qualifications and technical knowledge of a licensed hearing aid specialist, to allow him or her to engage in the fitting and selling of hearing aids for a period of one year under the supervision of a licensed hearing aid specialist.
Hearing aid specialist licenses are issued to those individuals who pass both the International Hearing Society (IHS) written and practical examinations.
- Hearing Aid Temporary Permit (HTP) Report of Progress (doc)
- Application for License as a Hearing Aid Specialist (pdf)
- Application For Examination To Be Eligible For Licensure As A Hearing Aid Specialist (pdf)
- Application for Temporary Permit Under Sponsorship of a Licensed Hearing Aid Specialist (doc)
Procedures for Licensing
- Scheduled Practical Examinations 2016 (pdf)
- Examination to Establish Eligibility for Hearing Aid Licensure (pdf)
- Regulation 61-3, The Practice of Selling and Fitting Hearing Aids (pdf)
- Annual On-line Continuing Educations Units (CEUs) Memo (pdf)
- Approved Continuing Education Courses
- Section 40-25-10, et seq., of the South Carolina Code of Laws, 1976, as amended: The "Practice of Specializing in Hearing Aids Act"
List of Licensed S.C. Providers
For information regarding applications, regulations, or other facts regarding the Hearing Aid Specialist Program in South Carolina, call (803) 545-4370 .