Each year, we recognize World TB Day on March 24. This annual event commemorates the date in 1882 when Dr. Robert Koch announced his discovery of tuberculosis, the germ that causes tuberculosis. This year, TB Control will celebrate World TB Day by developing initiatives that recognize and educate the community and internal DHEC staff and collaborating with community partners.
This year’s theme is “’It’s Time’ to RECOGNIZE, EDUCATE & COLLABORATE!”
’It’s Time’ to RECOGNIZE, EDUCATE & COLLABORATE!”
TB Control will celebrate the regional frontline staff by allowing them to vote on five different superlatives per region. The superlatives are the following:
- Most Creative Incentive
- Most Challenging Situation
- Best Team Player
- Best All Around
- SCION (Maven) Champion – best at navigating SCIO
‘It’s Time’ to EDUCATE! – World TB Day Lecture – “Self-Administered 3HP: Pros, Cons, and Context”
TB Medical Consultant, Dr. Susan Dorman, will lecture to TB state and regional staff about the pros and cons of self-administered 3hp, chest X-ray findings for TB cases. The lecture will be held from 10 a.m. to Noon on March 22 at the Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW), C. Lem Harper Building, 631 Hampton St., in Columbia.
Social media messages will also be posted the week of World TB Day promoting events and informing the public on the signs and symptoms of TB.
‘It’s Time’ to COLLABORATE!
TB Control distributed World TB Day posters, flyers, and pamphlets, created by DHEC, to our community partners representing diabetes, HIV/AIDs, substance abuses, and other agencies representing co-morbidities of TB to distribute to their clients. There were 46 organizations that agreed to participate.
Special thanks to our community partners who contributed to our 2019 World TB Day efforts.
- Fairfield Behavioral Health Services - Winnsboro, SC
- Phoenix Center – Greenville, SC
- Anderson Oconee Behavioral Health Services – Anderson, SC
- Tri-County Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse – Orangeburg, SC
- Winthrop University Health Services – Rock Hill, SC
- Clarendon County DSS – Manning, SC
- Calhoun County DSS – St. Matthews, SC
- Careteam Plus – Conway, SC
- Foothills Community Health Care – Clemson, SC
- Affinity Health Center – Rock Hill, SC
- Aiken Center – Aiken, SC
- Access Health Tri-County Network – Charleston, SC
- Fairfield County DSS – Winnsboro, SC
- Beaufort Jasper Hampton Comprehensive Health Services, Inc – all 9 locations
- Barnwell DSS – Barnwell, SC
- Clarendon Behavioral Health Services – Manning, SC
- York County DSS – Rock Hill, SC
- McCormick DSS – McCormick, SC
- Fetter Health Care Network – North Charleston, SC
- Fetter Health Care Network – Charleston, SC
- Lake City Community Hospital – Lake City, SC
- Claflin Student Health Center – Orangeburg, SC
- Shoreline Behavioral Health Services – Conway, SC
- SC Department of Health and Human Services – Columbia, SC
- SC Primary Health Care - SC Migrant Health Program – Columbia, SC
- Behavioral Health Services of Pickens County – Pickens, SC
- Carolina Diabetes & Kidney Center, LLC – Sumter, SC
- Orangeburg County DSS – Orangeburg, SC
- Cornerstone – Greenwood, SC
- Oconee DSS – Walhalla, SC
- Doctor's Care West Ashley – Charleston, SC
- Social Security Admin – Myrtle Beach, SC