Orthodontic Program Services
Families of children and youth with conditions of the face, jaw, mouth or teeth that affect normal functioning may qualify for orthodontic services. These services are limited to children with severe impairments that will lead to worsening health conditions if not corrected. Unfortunately, we cannot assist all children who may benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency
- South Carolina residency
- Initial approval for services made by age 18
- Household income at or below 250% federal poverty guidelines or Medicaid coverage
- An orthodontist must determine presence of a functional impairment that meets qualifications established by DHEC. Eligibility must be confirmed the orthodontic consultant to the Division of Children's Health, Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Program.
- Payment for recommended orthodontic treatment
- Payment for dental or other services needed in addition to orthodontic treatment to correct the functional impairment
- Monitoring progress with child and parent or guardian to assure best possible outcomes.
How to Apply
Contact nearest regional CSHCN office for detailed information and instructions.
If you have questions about getting services for your child with special needs, please contact us.
For more information, email Children with Special Health Care Needs
or call us at (803) 898-0784.