National Interest Waiver Policy
The South Carolina Office of Primary Care will issue letters of support for physicians who have received J‐1 Waivers through the South Carolina Conrad 30 Program under the following conditions:
- The physician has been an employee in good standing with the employer named in their J‐1 Waiver application for at least six months.
- The physician is offered a 2 year extension to their original 3 year contract by the employer named in their J‐1 Waiver application at the site/sites named in that application.
- The employer issues a statement that they understand that the physician can leave the organization to accept another practice opportunity without having to show that there are extenuating circumstances once their 3 year J‐1 Waiver obligation has been satisfied.
Parties interested in pursuing National Interest Waiver Letters of Support should submit the following to the Office of Primary Care:
- A copy of the 5 year contract.
- A letter from the employer indicating a) the date that the physician began work with their organization, b) a statement that the physician is in good standing with the organization, and, c) a statement that the employer understands that upon receiving the National Interest Waiver and completing their 3 year J‐1 Waiver obligation, the physician can leave the organization to accept another practice opportunity without having to show that there are extenuating circumstances.