The 2019 grant application period is closed.
Please apply next year between August 1 and October 15.
DHEC awards Champions of the Environment grants each school year. Smaller awards are available for runner-up projects. Access the grant award application here.
- K-12 students, their teachers, and environmental educators carrying out an environmental project in South Carolina.
- A student group of any size. Applicants that educate K-12 students outside of a formal classroom setting (such as an environmental education center or Scout group) are encouraged to partner with a school, classroom, or teacher.
Projects must address environmental issues among the following categories:
- Prevention or reduction of pollution in the air, water, or land
- Waste reduction
- Restoration, preservation, or enhancement of natural areas
- Water or energy efficiency
- Projects must also educate the community and make a lasting difference to the environment
- A cash award of $2,500 to use toward their project
- Their project featured in a commercial
- Their project highlighted on the Champions website
Runners-up receive a smaller cash award to use for their project.
Note: No additional application is needed to be considered for a runner-up award.
To Apply for a Champions Grant:
- The grant application period is closed for the 2019-2020 school year. Please apply next year between August 1 and October 15.
- Print the Champions of the Environment Grant Application Help Sheet for instructions on how to complete the application.
- Electronically submit the completed Champions of the Environment Grant Award Application.
- If you have any questions, or have trouble accessing the Grant Award Application, email the Champions Coordinator, or call 803-898-4183.
- Fill out the application and tell us about your environmental project. Be sure to supply all the requested information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your application will not be considered if it is submitted after the posted deadline.
How Are Champions Grant Winners Chosen?
The Champions Partnership awards grants to environmental projects that are logical, well-planned, and are highly likely to meet goals and objectives. Projects are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Benefits to the environment - positive outcomes for the environment through one issue or cumulatively through multiple issues
- Sustainability / long-term environmental benefits - ability to sustain the project and/or sustain the environmental benefit or education gained through the project
- Student education - learning opportunities
- Student involvement - as appropriate for the age and skill level of the students
- Outreach - education (and involvement) of those involved with and outside the project - including students, school, parents or the community
- Realization factor - likelihood of completion
- Suitable Use of Funds - funds used on items that support the goal(s) of the project
- Consideration is also given to innovation, creativity and partnerships