The electronic reporting of laboratory results fulfills South Carolina's notifiable disease reporting requirements. Meaningful Use requirements do not preempt applicable state or local laws that govern reporting of notifiable conditions.
The Meaningful Use program offers an ELR Reporting measure under the Public Health Reporting objective. The information must be sent in standardized formats that have been developed for sending health-related information between health care information systems. Data submission and analysis is coordinated at the state health department (DHEC).
ELR Reporting Criteria and Standards
DHEC currently accepts ELR messages from the following provider types:
- Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals performing in-house testing of conditions found on the most recent SC List of Reportable Conditions
DHEC currently accepts ELR messages for the following Meaningful Use stages:
- Modified Stage 2 (2015 - 2017)
- Beginning June 01, 2017, DHEC will begin accepting ELR messages for Stage 3 from Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals. Stage 3 reporting will be optional in 2017. Modified Stage 2 will be accepted through 2017. This declaration of readiness was made public on 02/06/2017.
DHEC currently accepts ELR messages in the following standard format:
- HL7 v2.5.1 messages formatted in accordance with the HL7 v2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health, Release 1
The following documents provide guidance for health care organizations seeking to send ELR messages to DHEC.
- SC ELR Registration for Meaningful Use (pdf) - REQUIRED
- SC ELR Implementation Guide v3.0 (pdf)
- SC List of Reportable Conditions (pdf) - 2017 (updated annually)
- HL7 v2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health, Release 1 - Available to download from site
For additional information or questions regarding the ELR reporting measure at DHEC, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
This page last updated June 30, 2017