Services for Children with Special Health Care Needs
Need Financial Help for Your Child with Special Health Care Needs?
DHEC provides some financial assistance to help children with special health care needs, including payment for medical services, supplies, equipment, and prescription medications.
Your child or family member may be eligible to receive financial assistance through DHEC programs if they:
- Are a U.S. citizen (or lawful permanent resident)
- Live in South Carolina
- Meet income requirements (which differ for each program)
- Have at least one medical condition covered under the program.
Financial assistance programs include:
- Children’s Rehabilitative Services Program (CRS) for help with payment for medical services, supplies, equipment, and prescription medications
- Hearing Program for help with payment for hearing aids, hearing aid repairs, batteries or related supplies
- Orthodontic Program for treatment of severe functional impairment caused by defects or injury of the face, jaw, mouth, or teeth
- Special (Nutritional) Formula Program for purchase of selected nutritional preparations to help treat conditions that affect normal growth and development
- Sickle Cell Program for people age 18 or older who need help with payment for medical services, supplies, equipment and medications related to sickle cell disease
- Hemophilia Assistance Plan for people with hemophilia or other blood clotting disorders that need help paying for blood products.
For more information, email Children with Special Health Care Needs, call us at (803) 898-0784 or visit us at one of our statewide locations. See a brief description of the work performed by DHEC's Children/Teens with Special Health Care Needs Program.