School Flu Vaccine Clinics
- The flu vaccine is the best way to prevent the flu.
- CDC and DHEC recommend that everyone 6 months of age and older receive the flu vaccine this season to protect against the flu.
- In the past, there were two option for flu vaccine, the nasal spray or the shot. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that the nasal spray should not be used this flu season. The flu shot will be the only flu vaccine given in school clinics this year.
- Flu vaccine is available from your local DHEC health department, at school located clinics and can also be obtained from your health care provider. Those age 12 and older can receive the flu vaccine at a pharmacy which offers flu vaccine. We encourage you to find the facility that works best for you.
- Flu vaccines offered at DHEC Health Department clinics will be available by appointment. Call 1-800-868-0404 to make an appointment or go to http://www.dhec.sc.gov/Health/Vaccinations/FluVaccines/FindSeasonalFluClinics/ to find the location closest to you. To find a non-DHEC flu vaccine provider, go to http://flushot.healthmap.org/ to search for the location closest to you.
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, VaxCare Corporation and many local school districts across our state are partnering to offer flu vaccines to school children beginning in October 2016.
Benefits of getting the flu vaccine in school:
Protects Your Child
The flu vaccine is the best way to protect your child from the flu.
Fewer Days of Missed School and Work
If your child stays healthy during flu season, you'll both have fewer absences.
No Cost or Low Cost
If your child has:
- Medicaid: Your Medicaid will be billed for $13.
- No health insurance: You will receive a bill from DHEC for $13.
- Private health insurance: Your child's coverage will be verified. If insurance does not cover the vaccine, you will receive a bill for $13. If insurance does cover the vaccine, you may be responsible for any copay or other charges based on your insurance plan, not to exceed $30 per dose.
School flu vaccine clinic documents and forms
Important information for parents:
After you return the Parent Consent Form to your child's school, please contact us before the scheduled vaccination clinic if you notice any of the following:
- There are any changes in your child's health.
- Your child receives an antiviral medication 48 hours or less before the school vaccination clinic date.
- Your child receives any vaccine less than 28 days before the school vaccination clinic date.
- You decide you no longer want your child to receive the flu vaccine at school.
Important information for schools: