Skip to content

What Do I Do If My Well Goes Dry?

  • If your residential well goes dry, you should contact a licensed well driller for assistance. In most of South Carolina, there is plentiful groundwater deeper beneath the ground. There are several things you can try:

  • If there is enough water deeper in your well, you can lower the pump deeper into your well.

  • If there is little or no water at all in a drilled rock well, you may be able to deepen your existing well.

  • If deepening your well is not physically possible (or cost-effective), the well driller may drill a new, deeper, well on your property.

  • If your entire community or neighborhood is being affected, your neighborhood may consider having a new community public well constructed (please contact your local DHEC Environmental Quality Control office for permitting information).

  • If available in your area, you may be able to tie onto a public water system.


All new individual residential wells must be permitted by DHEC (Regulation 61-44), and they must be constructed in accordance with the Well Standards (Regulation 61-71).

Well drillers must be licensed by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation.

For additional information about individual residential wells, use DHEC's contact. For additional information about the status of the drought, contact Hope Mizzell, State Drought Program Coordinator, in the DNR State Climatology Office at (803) 737-0800.