Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
S.C. Obesity Prevention Initiatives
Some documents below are in pdf format.
ABC Grow Healthy
- S.C. Department of Social Services ABC Grow Healthy - ABC Child Care, South Carolina's Quality Improvement System at the S.C. Department of Social Services Division of Early Care and Education, promotes Grow Healthy standards for all child care programs participating in the ABC system. These standards address nutrition and physical activity best practices for child care centers.
- Move More…It's in the Cards - Move More…It's In the Cards provides teachers with an easy to use resource for leading children in physical activity. Each card describes an activity that teachers can use to help children meet the daily recommended amount of structured physical activity. This tool can be used to increase the amount and variety of children's movement opportunities and can reinforce concepts being taught in the classroom.
- The Role and Value of Portable Play Equipment in the Child Care Center - The Role and Value of Portable Play Equipment in the Child Care Center provides a brief explanation on the importance of portable play equipment in the child care setting.
Access to Healthy Foods
- S.C. Fruit and Vegetable Outlets -This map provides information on farmers' markets and farm stands located in the state of South Carolina.
- Growing Food & Opportunities in South Carolina - Growing Food & Opportunities in South Carolina is a report published by the S.C. Food Policy Council to capture the results of the 2012 workshop, "Growing Food & Opportunities in S.C.: Economic & Community Development through Healthy Food Access" and includes recommendations for the next steps forward in addressing and moving towards the elimination of food deserts in South Carolina.
- S.C. Fruit and Vegetable Outlet Inventory Overview - The S.C. Fruit and Vegetable Outlet Inventory Overview showcases the findings from a statewide inventory of farmers' markets and farm stands in South Carolina in 2015.
- Access to Healthy Food in South Carolina: A Report by the S.C. Food Access Task - Access to Healthy Food in South Carolina: A Report by the SC Food Access Task Force includes five key recommendations for state and local leaders that will enhance the supply of healthy, affordable food in every community.
- S.C. Farm to Institution: - South Carolina Farm to Institution works collaboratively to connect farmers with schools (k-12), preschools, hospitals, colleges and other institutions to strengthen our food system by increasing the amount of South Carolina grown and processed foods served in our state, while providing opportunities for health and agriculture education.
- S.C. Food Policy Council - The South Carolina Food Policy Council supports the sustainability of our state's food sector enterprises and the health of our communities.
- S.C. Food Access Task Force - The goal of the S.C. Food Access Task Force is to expand the availability of nutritious food by developing and equipping food retail and wholesale outlets selling healthy food, including but not limited to grocery stores, corner stores, farmers' markets, food hubs, and mobile markets.
Active Community Environments
Active Community Environments Special Project
Open Community Use
S.C. Health + Planning
The S.C. Health + Planning Advisory Committee - The S.C. Health + Planning Advisory Committee was formed in 2013 to address healthy eating and active living through community planning on a statewide scale. The purpose of the committee is to connect health and planning in South Carolina.
- S.C. Health + Planning Toolkit - The S.C. Health + Planning Toolkit is a healthy eating and active living policy guide for planning and public health in South Carolina.
- S.C. Healthy Comprehensive Planning Project Baseline Report - The S.C. Healthy Comprehensive Planning Project Baseline Report provides evaluation results of the project and creates a baseline measurement of healthy eating and active living principles in county comprehensive plans across the state.
Links to additional resources
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: Founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, Alliance for a Healthier Generation is a collaborative change-maker working to create a nation where children thrive. We collaborate with and empower people and leaders to transform the environments that can make a difference in a child's health: homes, schools, doctor's offices and communities.
- Eat Smart Move More S.C.: The S.C. Eat Smart Move More Coalition coordinates obesity prevention efforts across the state.
- Let's Go S.C.: Communities across South Carolina are making it easier for people to eat healthier and get moving. You can find information here that will help you eat smart, move more, and take advantage of your community's parks, trails, farmers' markets, and other resources.
- SCaledown: SCaledown.org is the place to educate, engage, and mobilize partners to help make the healthy choice the easy choice for South Carolinians. This site houses the SouthCarolina Obesity Action Plan, a tactical plan that aims to build on the success of previous efforts and offers new strategies to reduce obesity rates in the Palmetto State.
- Working Well: The goal of Working Well is to help employers create a sustainable culture of wellness around four key pillars by using effective, evidence-based best practices to create worksites where the healthy choice is the easy choice.