WIC is a special supplemental nutrition program that also provides breastfeeding information, support, and assistance. In addition, WIC offers a positive clinic environment that supports breastfeeding.
WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants, unless medically contraindicated.
- WIC mothers choosing to breastfeed are provided information through counseling, support groups, and breastfeeding educational materials.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive follow-up support through breastfeeding peer counselors.
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers.
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps and other supplies to help with the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package.
The quantities of food you can get depend on whether you will be exclusively or partially breastfeeding. The breastfeeding infants' package includes jar baby fruits and vegetables at 6 months of age (and if exclusively breastfed, jar baby meats at 9 months of age).
To learn more about the WIC food packages for breastfeeding women and their babies, read these fliers:
- WIC Foods for Breastfeeding Mom and Baby (pdf)
- WIC Foods for Partial Breastfeeding Mom and Baby (pdf)
If you need assistance with breastfeeding or have general WIC questions, please contact your local public health department .
Additional Free Breastfeeding Educational Materials
To receive a free copy of the materials below, just ask your WIC staff.
- ML-025296 - Breastfeed for the Best Start (pdf)
- ML-025317 - Breastfeed for the Best Start, Spanish (pdf)
- ML-009137 - A New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding in the Hospital (pdf)
- ML-025438 - 5 Steps to a Good Latch, English/Spanish (pdf)
- ML-009107 - Breast Milk Expression and Storage (pdf)
- ML-009113 - Breast Milk Expression and Storage, Spanish (pdf)
- ML-025611 - WIC Hospital Breastfeeding Plan Table Tent (pdf)
- Breastfeeding Support in the Workplace (pdf)
- Embracing Motherhood: Human Milk for Babies (pdf)
If you are an organization that would like to order a large quantity of the above materials, please visit our Educational Materials Library .
To learn more about breastfeeding benefits, tips, and breast pumping: